Friday, November 25, 2011

Going Solo

The past few times I remember "going solo" were when the situation I was in happened to be "bad" or "challenging" but this time, at Tallulah Gorge State Park in North Georgia, I am experiencing something different. While driving up, I listened to several episodes of Focus on the Family and, since this is the day after Thanksgiving, many of the episodes were about being thankful.

I am thankful for my family. Successive trips have been experienced while being single, newly married, with one child, then two, and now three. Wow, I have so many reasons to be thankful! God commands me to be thankful but honestly, I would hope I would be thankful without his prompting! He started it all. His gracious gift family has inspired many influential figures to be contributors in my experience of thankfulness.

I still have grandparents that are involved in my life! Pop and Grandma are steadfast and Grandmother and Granddaddy are continually holding their own. These paternal and maternal figures transcend generations and also link my parents and my wife's parents in the scheme of things. This is really cool because my kids have a chance to know their great grandparents AND grandparents. How many kids can claim that to be true?

I am also thankful for the Bible. Nothing has changed (in the Bible...as God's Word) and everything in life is made more vivid and livable by the direction I gain from the Bible. There are sometimes when I don't reference it as I should - like breathing or eating - but I know it is there and active. I am SO THANKFUL that God can use the Bible to speak to me and to others and give them direction!

I'm thankful for solitude. Without too much detail, Karen has allowed me to go away for a night. Tomorrow morning, the bags and supplies are packed and ready to be utilized (run, bike , hike, canoe...all in one day and all back-to-back). I'm pumped and am eating up the time to slow down, zone out, and focus in on what the important things are (as mentioned above).

I'm thankful.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Rock Mountain Rd,,United States

2 comments:

Karen Eller said...

We are thankful for you as well! "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4 We love you! Pop and Grandma

Gary Eller said...

I believe Someone else said this at one time: "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well-pleased." I am also so very thankful for Karen (Jeff's wife) who recognized and initiated the importance of this time of going solo.