Sunday, January 11, 2015

Who Speaks for You?

And this was his message: "After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie." - Mark 1:7 -
  • Who speaks for you (me)?
  • Who talks about you (me)?
  • What do they say (me)?
I have been thinking about legacy. Surrounding my family and those closest to me, the outcome of the thoughts I think and actions that follow are inseparable from what my expectations are for those that I am a leader for. My prayers lately have been desperate and at times murmurs of thoughts that I have to whisper out loud to make sure that they were composed in my mind. I want to people to follow my example but I moreso want others to follow Jesus. Far more, beyond my understand or ability to communicate ... that much.

Today I am able to hang out with Noah and we are going to spend time together. Today, this time is for lingering. Here is what I mean:

From the Jones Loflin Newsletter: "The Hobbit Movie and My Own Journey"

Yesterday, Alex (my older daughter) and I went to see The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies. It might seem like a strange activity for a 48 year old dad and his 19 year old daughter, but our "journey" with all things Middle Earth has been a truly memorable 10 year experience. It's also taught me much about how one can judge the quality of a day, year, or even a lifetime.

As the movie ended and the credits began to roll, hardly anyone, including Alex and I, got up to leave. We watched every slide with it's masterful drawings, and occasionally commented on who played one role or another. Why was it so hard for me to leave? It's not like I couldn't watch it again in a few months when we purchased the movie on DVD. What was it that made me so hesitant to leave?  “It wasn’t the movie series, but what the movie series gave Alex and I the opportunity to do.”

While walking to the car, I commented to Alex about my strange pause back at the theater and she said, "Yeah, it's like that as long as we didn't exit the theater, the movie wasn't over and we could still hold onto the moment." It was then that it hit me. My lingering was due to realizing that this 10 year journey with Alex was ending. It wasn't the movie series, but what the movie series gave Alex and I the opportunity to do. It was a catalyst to creating a lifetime of memories.

With this new found realization, I started thinking about all the times in my life when I've wanted to linger in the moment because I knew they would never come again. Those moments usually came as a result of giving my full attention to an experience and working hard to achieve a successful result. Too often I've been quick to exit an event in my life because I didn't give it the attention it deserved, and the last thing I wanted to do was linger in the moment.

As I look to 2015, one of my resolutions will be to have more moments like those in the theater where I want to linger. The experiences that create these moments don't have to be epic in nature or take you on a journey with strange creatures in a distant land. They result from being fully present in all of life's experiences, and embracing them for the adventure they offer.

My resolve (e.g. resolution) is in effect to be a leader who speaks and acts in unison. Even when the truth is unpopular, Jesus was interest in what others were saying, listened, and asks questions to show his interest. I want to disseminate message thus thus sharing HIS message. Those closest to Jesus may have been more likely to understand who he was and what he hoped to achieve. Every minute counts (as I whisper and murmur to myself to make sure I don't let this slide).


I have only just a minute, Only sixty seconds in it.


Forced upon me, can't refuse it. Didn't seek it, didn't choose it.


But it's up to me to use it. I must suffer if I lose it. Give account if I abuse it.


Just a tiny little minute, but eternity is in it.


-Dr. Benjamin E. Mays

No comments: