Saturday, February 7, 2009

Being sick...

You know, I have been reflecting on the recent experience that our family has had regarding sickness (we got a stomach virus). When I say "we" that means: Noah on Thursday, Emily on Friday, Jeff on Saturday, and Karen on Monday. The cool part was that on Wednesday of this last week, I was thinking through it and considering what type of connection this all has with life.

Being sick is like being apart from Christ and when you are caring for someone who is sick it is like Christ taking care of us. When I was sick, Karen took care of the kids and when Karen was sick, I took care of the kids. We are very appreciative of how important it is to keep our marriage relationship real and alive. Jesus describes his relationship with use as being a very connected one that involves communication and flexibility (on our part) and selflessness...wow, I'm glad there are two of us to take care of two kids!

But, I am thankful of how much can take place when we are connected to what God wants us to be doing and and how he wants us to love him. What if I had bailed when Karen was sick and Karen bailed when I was sick? The relationship would not have been there and we would not have been reminded of how much Jesus really loves us. I'm glad I am married and and Jesus is married to me - the relationship is a super opportunity to grow and develop in a meaningful way with a loving God.

1 comment:

Eric and Erin said...

I'm so thankful that Jesus didn't bail on me! Thanks for sharing that. Great to read your new post. So glad you and the fam are feeling better! We love y'all bunches!